Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College
Center for Global Education


Passports & visas


A U.S. (or home country) passport is needed to enter and return from just about every country in the world. As soon as students decide to study abroad they should apply for a passport. For details visit U.S. Department of State Passport Services

If this is your first passport you must apply for a passport in person at one of the offically licensed locations. Currently (as of 7/09), the cost for a new passport is $100.00.

Renewal Passports

Renewal passports can be completed by mail if you fit the following criteria:

*Already have a passport that is not damaged
*Received it within the past 15 years
*Were over age 16 when it was issued
*Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).

U.S. Department of State Passport Services


A visa is an offical stamp issued by a foreign government granting permission to enter, study, or live in that particular country. Students should check with their country's embassy in Washington, D.C. or consular offices to see if a visa is required for their study abroad location.

It is important to begin this process of obtaining a visa as soon as you know of your plans to study abroad. It may take 4-8 weeks to obtain all the proper documentation for a student visa. A passport is required in order to begin the process of obtaining a visa.

Costs of visas vary from country to country. Check the embassy or consulate for your study abroad location for specific details.

U.S. Embassies and Other Diplomatic Missions around the world

The Electronic Embassy

Comments are closed.