Respecting the environment
The field design, by LEED-certified architect Patrick Maguire, incorporates principles that reflect sensitivity to the natural and human environments:
- Protection of certified and potential vernal pools
- Undeveloped buffer zone around the field to protect nearby wetlands
- Permeable surface with drainage system
- Field will help limit playing time on natural grass fields, protecting them from overuse
- High-tech lighting will illuminate the field, not the sky and surrounding woods
Maguire notes that the existing soils will be kept on-site to limit truck traffic during construction. The bonus: "The soils will be utilized to create natural earth forms (berms) around the field, which will create a great atmosphere for the players and put spectators right on top of the action."