Staff Council

Healthy Eating: Chorizo Lentil Soup

Posted on January 16, 2013

Winters in New England make me crave nourishment for my body and soul. I combined several recipes to create a healthier, more filling and tastier meal. My soup was improved by adding more vegetables. Soups are very forgiving. You can add or omit ingredients to your liking. You can add more liquids, more vegetables or remove the meat. It’s your chance to create! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into small pieces. You can use any kind of sausage, or you can omit this ingredient. I like to use turkey chorizo.
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 cup dried lentils
3 cups of chicken stock (or more if you like a thinner soup)
1 (15 oz.) can petit-diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
6 oz. of fresh baby spinach, rough chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin (optional)
1 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream or herbed goat cheese (optional)

Heat olive oil in a 6-quart pan over a medium high heat. Stir in onion and cook for about 2 minutes as onion sautés. Stir and add a little salt to help soften the onions. Add chorizo sausage and cook until it begins to brown. I like to cut the chorizo into pieces that fit onto a spoon. If you are using a sausage in a casing, just crumble it into the pan. Stir in celery and carrots and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.

Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, lentils and cannellini beans to the pan. Season the mixture with sugar and cumin. Cover the pan and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.

I like to garnish this soup with either a dollop of sour cream or a piece of herbed goat cheese. Add some crusty bread and you have a fabulous meal!

Submitted by Nora Brosseau
Photo: Nora Brosseau