Mars Center for Science and Technology awarded LEED Gold
Posted on August 13, 2012
Message from President Crutcher,
The college received some exciting news, and I wanted you to be among the first to hear it: the Mars Center for Science and Technology has been awarded LEED gold certification for its environmentally friendly design and construction.
This is a great accomplishment. It is difficult to be awarded certification for science buildings because of the energy demands that facilities such as this require to filter air in laboratories and support a wide array of specialized scientific equipment.
In addition, the project’s design aimed for silver certification. We exceeded that goal thanks to the generosity of our alumnae/i, parents and friends; the vision of our faculty; the attention to detail of the college’s staff and our builder’s representative, The Rise Group; the expertise of our architects EYP; and the follow through of the general contractor, Bond Brothers.
LEED certification requires a lengthy and detailed process that begins with the building’s design, and it extends throughout construction and beyond. A few details from our application for certification illustrate the breadth and level of detail involved.
* The building’s design includes a green roof, and landscaped plantings cover more than 65 percent of the project site with native and adaptive species accounting for more than 40 percent of the plants
* The building’s HVAC system achieved an energy savings of 28 percent, according to international standards for heating, cooling and air circulation.
* During construction, the college and its contractors recycled or reused 691.74 tons (88 percent) of construction waste that would otherwise have ended up in landfills.
* Approximately 22 percent of materials for the building were manufactured from recycled materials.
* Ninety-one percent of the wood-based materials used come from forests that are certified as being managed been harvested from FSC certified forests.
The Mars Center’s gold certification reflects our commitment to sustainability and it will be a major “point of pride”, soon to appear on our website and in many other promotional materials. I hope you share my pride in what our community has accomplished together.