Anne Crosman’s writing attracts attention

“As a child, I kept diaries, because my mother had kept a diary for me, starting the day I was born,” recalls Anne Crosman ’66. “I still have it! I continued her tradition and I wrote every day. I still do.” With a deeply rooted penchant for writing and a childhood love of radio shows, Crosman has forged her path as an author and news reporter in radio, television and print.

Recently, she gained attention for her self-published books. In January, Sedona.biz (Arizona) featured an article about her book The New Immigrants: American Success Stories (Book Publishers Network, 2012) and a panel that she hosted featuring the book subjects as guest speakers. The book delves into the stories of immigrants who live in her current home state, Arizona.

“These people prove the adage that America is a land of opportunity,” Crosman says. “I wanted to show that the majority of Arizona immigrants are legal, patriotic, hard-working residents, who have worked to improve their English and communication skills and have given back to their communities. All of them deeply appreciate the freedom to speak and live as they wish.”

Crosman’s other book, Young at Heart: Aging Gracefully with Attitude, a collection of personal portraits originally published in 2003 and reprinted in 2004 and 2005, won a national Benjamin Franklin Award. She also was interviewed on KNAU, Arizona Public Radio in Flagstaff, where she previously has hosted NPR’s “All Things Considered.”

While at Wheaton, Crosman, who continued to write in the journal that her mother started, honed her skills here as an English literature major and writer for the college newspaper. After graduating, she earned her master’s degree in journalism at the American University in Washington, D.C. At age 28, she was the first woman whom CBS radio had ever hired to do full-time hourly newscasts.

“The microphone is a magic tool,” she says. “Every night at CBS Radio, I talked to an estimated 18 million people. That was in 1973. Imagine today’s numbers.”

She moved on to cover political news for NBC Radio Network in Washington, D.C., and freelanced abroad in Switzerland, Rome, Warsaw and Cairo, before hosting at Arizona Public Radio from 2009 through 2011.

Throughout her career she has combined her love for journalism with curiosity for culture and the desire to tell the personal stories of others.

Now, when she’s not writing, the author is busy with various interests. She encourages others to mine their own experience by teaching memoir writing at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute in Sedona, Ariz. She leads yoga classes and silent meditative hikes. She continues to play piano and violin and has even learned how to play Scottish bagpipes.

In February, Crosman won a bronze medal at the Arizona Senior Olympics for racewalking. “I’m back in training for racewalking on the streets of Sedona,” she says. “Honk if you pass me. I’m the one walking fast, like a duck!”

Still on her agenda: “To climb Mount Snowden in northern Wales. My middle name is Snowden.”

About Elizabeth Meyer

Elizabeth Meyer is a student in the Class of 2014.