The F-word

The f-wordConfession time:

I have lost and regained 75 pounds—twice.

I can tell you how many Weight Watchers points in anything, anything—even the points in air.

I know by heart the list of acceptable foods for Phase One of the South Beach Diet. Sadly, potato chips are not on it.

At my own commencement, my grandmother offered me a peppermint from her pocketbook and my mother balked in a loud whisper, “Don’t give her any candy! Look at her!” (Sorry, Mom; hope you’re not reading this. Thanks for not calling me fat.)

Let’s just say that I know a lot about not being the ideal weight and continually trying to remedy the situation. I prefer to think of myself as diva-size, by the way.

I’ve become obsessed with reading anything weight-related, especially when the stories come with headlines like a recent one in the Boston Globe: “Can chocolate help you lose weight? Study says yes, but evidence is uncertain.” (I’m willing to volunteer to help gather more evidence on that one.)

So, I have been especially interested in the research of Associate Professor of Psychology Michael Berg. His main area of scholarly work revolves around anti-fat stereotypes and prejudice. In this issue of the Quarterly, he writes about the ongoing research that he and his students are conducting examining the impact of attitudes about obesity. He offers an intriguing take on how the country is approaching the war against obesity and how attitudes influence policies that can either be helpful or harmful in the battle.

He doesn’t claim to have all the answers. But what is important is that he’s searching for them and along the way is giving us something to think about.

Also in this issue of the magazine is a feature story about three young men who met at Wheaton and parlayed their friendship, college connections, education and talent into a business venture in which they are working together to produce and direct web series, commercials and videos.

And, be sure to check out the progress on the Campaign for Wheaton in the Go Beyond section.