Newsmaker: Catharine Davis Ellingsen ’86

Workdays are busy and varied at Phoenix-based Republic Services, Inc., a leading provider of solid waste collection, transfer, recycling and disposal services. No one knows that better than Catharine Davis Ellingsen ’86, the company’s vice president, deputy general counsel. That’s what she loves most, as a July 15, 2010, profile of her in the Arizona Republic pointed out. Ellingsen double majored in European history and political science, and has a law degree from the American University Washington College of Law. At Republic Services, she oversees a variety of the company’s legal affairs. She began representing Allied Waste Industries, Inc., as outside counsel in 2000 and was offered a position in the legal department in 2001. (Allied Waste and Republic Services, Inc., merged in 2008.) “I address many different issues in a typical day. It is not unusual to go from a meeting advising human resources on an employee relations issue, to discussing strategy on a piece of litigation, to reviewing and approving training or company policies, to participating in plans on a landfill expansion. I love the daily variety, the fast pace, and feeling like I am making a difference.” She also values her Wheaton experience: “Wheaton helped me to know for sure that I wanted to pursue a legal career. I also had several wonderful professors who helped me to become a confident communicator, self-assured and independent. These attributes have served me well throughout my career.”