Marshall Center for Intercultural Learning

Campus Life

Meet the 2011 Orientation Assistants

Posted on June 8, 2011

Iraimi Mercado '12

Major: Sociology   Minor: Hispanic Studies    Hometown: Brockton

pic of IraimiMy name is Iraimi Mercado and I'm a senior. I was born in the Dominican Republic and I'm currently living in Brockton, Massachusetts. I am the treasurer for iSpeak!, the first spoken word club at Wheaton College. I am passionate about helping others. I love to exercise to release stress and love, love sushi. One of the greatest experiences that I have had at Wheaton was studying abroad in Chile.  It was AMAZING! I encourage everyone to go abroad. It is one of the greatest experiences you will ever have!!

Shauntay Hallett ‘12

Majors: Sociology and African, African American Diaspora Studies    Hometown: Bronx, New York

pic of Shauntay HalletI want to be an Orientation Assistant because I want to help students from diverse backgrounds. I believe it is important to have a united community and my goal is to try to ensure that. The best part about Wheaton are my friends. My friends play a significant role in my success. They support me in everything I do. On campus I am involved in the S.O.L.E. Step Team and Trybe Multi-Cultural Dance Troupe. The best part about Wheaton is the simple fact that my friends are there every step of the way screaming my name.

Jose Rosario ‘12

Major:  Computer Science              Minor: Hispanic Studies     Hometown: Bronx, NY

Hey! My name is Jose Rosario; I am currently a senior at Wheaton. I’m not much of a sports player, but I do play basketball and baseball every now and then, and I am a huge YANKEES FAN!!! My favorite band is Linkin Park, my favorite rapper is Ludacris, my favorite color is blue and my favorite video game series is Metal Gear Solid. By the way I also forgot to mention I’m a huge KNICKS FAN!!!

I have been a part of many groups on campus like Paraiso Latino, the first Latino based dance group on campus. I have also been part of the Leadership Recognition Committee (LRC) , Latino Student Association (LSA), Intercultural Board (ICB) and the United Men of Color organization (UMC). When I’m not busy I like to listen to music, watch movies, or play video games (XBOX 360 and PS3!!!!!).

My advice to you is to always remember this is your experience and college is what you make of it. There are many events constantly going on around campus, so if you find yourself bored you should go check them out. I am here to make sure you guys enjoy yourselves safely and to provide any help you might need, so don’t hesitate to ask. I can’t wait to meet all of you and get to know more about you!

Gilda Rodrgues '14

Major:   Biology   Minor:   Studio Art   Hometown:   Boston

pic of Gilda RodriguesHi, my name is Gilda Rodrigues.. I am from Boston, MA. I love to sing and draw. I am a participant in College Against Cancer/Relay for Life on Campus.

The reason why I want to be an Orientation Assistant is because I love helping people. The urge to help others has become a part of me.

My favorite aspect of Wheaton is the atmosphere and the people within it. The staff members and students are very friendly. I love meeting new people and that is something that comes naturally to me.

Jessie Pan '12

Major: Biology     Minor: Asian Studies     Hometown: New York, NY

picof Jessie PanBecoming an OA has a special meaning to me.  Having attended pre-orientation at the beginning of my college career, I was given the opportunity to establish lasting relationships, support and guidance from faculty, and the staff of the Intercultural Center. It is both a unique honor and rewarding opportunity to be part of the Wheaton orientation program and I am very excited to serve as a resource for incoming students as they make their academic, social, and personal transition to Wheaton.

Something that I came to appreciate at Wheaton is its supportive atmosphere.  I have noticed that the faculty and staff at Wheaton are one of the most encouraging and understanding group of people. Students are always encouraged to utilize the resources on campus because there are always people at Wheaton who are willing to listen and help.

My hobbies include- painting, running, volleyball & listening to music.