Professor of Philosophy
Prentice Chair (2010-2015)
Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.A., B.A. University of South Florida
- Early Modern Philosophy
- Feminist History of Philosophy
Selected Publications, Creative Work, or Performances
- "Berkeley's Bermuda Project in Context," in B. Belfrage and R. Brook (eds.) A New Companion to Berkeley (New York and London: Bloomsbury) forthcoming.
- “The Non-Christian Influence on Anselm’s Proslogion Argument,” International Journal for Philosophy of Religion, Vol. 69, No. 2 (2011), pp. 73-89.
- “Why Hume’s Counterexample is Insignificant and Why It is Not,” British Journal for the History of Philosophy, Vol. 17, No. 5 (December 2009), pp. 955-979.
- “‘Presence’ and ‘Likeness’ in Arnauld’s Critique of Malebranche.” Midwest Studies in Philosophy, Vol. XXVI (2002), pp. 205-212.
- “Why Cartesian Ideas of Sense are Innate.” The Southern Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 38, No. 3 (September 2000), pp. 413-428.
- "Uniqueness in Descartes' ‘Infinite’ and ‘Indefinite’," History of Philosophy Quarterly Vol. 15, No. 1 (January 1998), pp. 23-35.
- "Activity and Passivity in Mary Astell's Theory of Friendship," conference on Women, Truth, Action, University of Helsinki, Oct 2013.
- "Rules for the Dissolution of a Friendship: Aristotle and Wollstonecraft on Marriage and Virtue Friendship," History of Philosophy Research Seminar, University of Helsinki, Oct 2013.
- “’I thank thee Lord that I am friendless too; tho' that alas be hard to do’; Astell and Wollstonecraft on Aristotelian Friendship,” Mahindra Humanities Center, Harvard University, Mar 2013 AND Trinity College, Dublin, Mar 2013.
- "Wollstonecraft on Friendship, Utility, and Pleasure,” Northern New England Philosophical Association, University of Massachusetts–Lowell, Oct 2012 AND Canadian Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Oct 2011.
- "Berkeley and The Ladies Library," International Berkeley Society, Université de Sherbrooke, Jun 2012 AND Irish Philosophical Society, National University of Ireland--Maynooth, Jun 2012.
- Turning 'Savage Americans' into 'Indian Scholars': Berkeley’s Bermuda Project,” New England Colloquium in Early Modern Philosophy, Harvard University, May 2012.