The good news is that accuweather.com has a list of the 10 Snowiest Colleges in the US and Wheaton College is not on it. The not so great news is that winter isn’t over yet and another storm is on the way for the New England region, with significant amounts of snow forecast for Mon., March 3, 2014.
Because of the repeated storms and the high demand for salt and ice melt, there are extreme shortages of supplies locally, statewide, as well as throughout the northeast region.
From this point on, our crews will use sand as well as ice melt to make the most efficient use of supplies. We also want to remind all to take care when walking about the campus during periods of freezing and thawing, and during storms, which can cause walkways and parking lots to be slippery.
To enable clearing campus roads, paths and parking lots as quickly as possible, the college will institute its snow removal plan effective at 4 p.m. Sun., March 2, 2014, until 4 p.m. on Tuesday, March 4. Any vehicle parked in closed lots, and that hampers emergency snow removal efforts, may be towed to an off-campus location, at the owners expense.
Please note that when the college is open, faculty and staff are allowed to park in faculty and staff lots. If the college is closed due to weather, the parking ban applies to everyone.
Students should make sure that vehicles are parked in one of the following lots:
- Lot 1A, which is adjacent to the baseball stadium only
- Lot 3, which is accessed from Pine Street
- Lot 4, located off Fillmore Drive at the Meadows complex
- Lot 10, behind the post office
The lots that are closed include:
- Lot 1 (Faculty/Staff lot in front of and across from the Clark Recreation Center, Nursery School and 4 Clark Rec Drive / Guest House)
- Lot 2 (Faculty/Staff/visitor section in lot along East Main Street, opposite YMCA)
- Lot 7 (Faculty/Staff lot to left of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 8 (Faculty/Staff lot to right of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 9 (Faculty/Staff lot adjacent to Science Center loading dock)
- Lyons Den lot and the Bookstore Lot
- Parking areas located at Bittersweet, Lindens and Elms Dorms, 5/7 Pine Street, 46/48 East Main Street, 7&9 Howard Street, 42 Howard Street, 44 Howard Street, 20 Taunton Avenue, 26/28 Taunton Avenue, 34 Taunton Avenue and 9 Taunton Avenue
- All vehicles parked along Howard Street should be moved to one of the open parking lots.
Any vehicle parked in closed lots, and that hampers emergency snow removal efforts, may be towed to an off-campus location, at the owners expense.
If there are any problems or safety issues, please contact Public Safety at 508-286-8213 or 508-285-5051.