Classes cancelled for Wednesday
Posted on January 21, 2014
All classes and activities at Wheaton College will be cancelled from 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21 through Wednesday, January, 22, due to the major winter storm expected to arrive this afternoon and continue into Wednesday morning. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning and forecasts 8 to 12 inches of snow for the area to be accompanied by bitter cold temperatures and wind gusts up to 45 mph.
Dining and other essential services will continue. In departments that provide essential services, supervisors are responsible for coordinating schedules so that services continue.
Non-essential personnel should not report for second and third shift on Tuesday and first shift on Wednesday. College offices will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 22.
If possible, students who have not returned to campus should delay their return until after 4 p.m. on Wednesday. Forecasters and public officials predict that travel will not be safe on Tuesday evening and that roads may not be fully cleared before late in the afternoon on Wednesday.
Students already on campus should plan to remain indoors as much as possible and should not venture out this evening, when the storm is expected to intensify. Also, students should make sure that all windows and exterior doors in dorms are kept closed, that you have stocked up on any prescribed medications that you may require, keep cell phones and other mobile devices charged.
Students with medical conditions who would require assistance if dorms need to be evacuated should notify residential life staff or your RA or AC so that they will be able to assist you as soon as possible.
Because of the cancellation of classes on Wednesday, the college also will delay the start of the add/drop period, which had originally been scheduled to begin on Wednesday. The add/drop period will begin on Thursday, January, 23, and end on Friday, January 31.
Classes on Thursday, Jan. 23 will follow the regular Thursday schedule. However, the college will follow the Wednesday class schedule on Friday, Jan. 24.
The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams' meet versus Worcester Polytechnic Institute and the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, which was scheduled for this evening, has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for a later date.
During the storm
Once the storm arrives, students should stay indoors as much as possible. During the height of the storm, high winds and near white-out conditions from heavy snowfall are possible. We urge you to exercise caution to avoid falling debris, slippery pathways and other unsafe conditions.
Public safety officials and other staff members will be in regular contact with Norton emergency officials as well as with the National Weather Service for updates. And we will keep the campus updated and informed as details unfold. Check Wheaton’s homepage to get the most up to date information.
We encourage all students, faculty and staff to remain attentive to our website for updates. We want everyone to be safe.
If there are any problems or safety issues, please contact Public Safety at 508-286-8213 or 508-285-5051.
To enable clearing campus roads, paths and parking lots as quickly as possible, the college is instituting its snow removal plan.
Student vehicles should be parked in one of the following lots:
- Lot 1A, which is adjacent to the baseball stadium
- Lot 3, which is accessed from Pine Street
- Lot 4, located off Fillmore Drive at the Meadows complex
- Lot 10, behind the post office.
- Lot 1 (Faculty/Staff lot in front of Clark Recreation Center and Nursery School)
- Lot 2 West Section (Faculty/Staff/visitor section in lot along East Main St. opposite YMCA)
- Lot 7 (Faculty/Staff lot to left of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 8 (Faculty/Staff lot to right of Haas Athletic Center)
- Lot 9 (Faculty/Staff lot adjacent to Science Center loading dock)
- Lyons Den lot and the Bookstore Lot
- Parking areas located at Bittersweet, Lindens and Elms Dorms, 5/7 Pine Street, 46/48 East Main Street, 7&9 Howard Street, 42 Howard Street, 44 Howard Street, 20 Taunton Avenue, 26/28 Taunton Avenue, 34 Taunton Avenue and 9 Taunton Avenue
- All vehicles parked along Howard Street should be moved to one of the open parking lots, no later than 4:00 p.m.
Any vehicle parked in closed lots, and that hampers emergency snow removal efforts, may be towed to an off-campus location, at the owners expense.