Computer Science

Academics

Emily Baldwin '14

Posted on April 4, 2012

Class of 2014
From: Albuquerque, NM

Did you come to Wheaton knowing you wanted to major in Computer Science?

I was planning on studying Mathematics, but had heard Computer Science was interesting, so I figured I'd give it a shot first semester. I ended up loving it and declaring the major, with a minor in Mathematics and Hispanic Studies (which was a surprise, as well).

What has been the most interesting class you've taken in the Computer Science Curriculum?

Although it has been a difficult course and I don't intend to program in assembly language just for fun, I've liked the concepts of the Computer Organization course best thus far. It's been really interesting to finally know what is going on in the CPU itself, while linking it to the physical circuitry in my Electronic Circuits class.

What is your favorite programming language and why?

I love UNIX Bash Shell Scripting. It's not specifically used in most courses, so I've liked teaching myself how to use it through the command line. It's great to actually feel completely in control of the computer and I think it's much more interesting than just clicking around the system.

What are your plans for after graduation?

My options are incredibly broad at this point and I'm perfectly okay with that. I plan to go to grad school but initially would like some experience in the field beyond the internships I've already held. I'm considering applying for a Fulbright to research abroad, preferably in Brazil or Argentina. I have worked from the United States side with contacts at Brazil's national nuclear authority, Comissão Nacional Energia Nuclear (CNEN), and I'd like to approach research on the Brazilian end, if possible.