During regular business hours, students who get locked out of their rooms may be issued a key temporarily by the College Locksmith. This key must be returned immediately.
During non-business hours, students who get locked out of their rooms should call Public Safety for assistance. Although Public Safety will provide this service, students must realize that other duties may take a priority, and the service may not be delivered immediately. While everyone locks him/herself out of a room or building occasionally, it should be understood that students are expected to take the responsibility to have their keys with them, and requests for this service should occur infrequently. Students who make continual or unreasonable requests for this service from Public Safety will be billed $15.00 per request beyond the first two requests during an academic year. As a matter of courtesy and to allow Public Safety Officers to remain on patrol, students should contact Public Safety if they are able to get into their rooms after having requested the assistance of an officer.
Student Key Policy
The following policy has been developed to help protect the security and welfare of students at Wheaton College. While it may result in occasional inconvenience, this is more than offset by the necessary security it provides for the Wheaton community.
All College keys may be picked up and returned at the Locksmith’s Office, second floor, Power Plant Building between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm (lunch from 12pm – 1pm), Monday through Friday.
- Students are required to check out a room key at the start of the year, and at any time their occupancy changes. Under no circumstances may a key be duplicated by anyone other than the College Locksmith. Duplication defeats the purpose of key control and student security.
- Students who do not return their room keys within ten days of Commencement will be charged $35.00 for each key not returned.
- Students are not billed for the loss of an outside door key until the end of the year. The charge is $35.00. This will cover the expense of re-keying the front door, replacing all keys, and the paperwork involved.
- Any keys found on campus should be returned to the Locksmith’s Office as soon as possible, where they can be identified and returned to the owner.
- Keys to drawers and closets in residence halls may be obtained during the second full week of the semester.
- Students who lock themselves out of their room may borrow a room key from the Locksmith’s Office. This key must be returned directly to the Locksmith immediately after students let themselves into their room. Failure to do so will result in a $10.00 non-refundable charge.
- If students lose their room key, their lock is re-keyed for their safety. Students will be billed $35.00 for each key lost.
Offices and academic buildings
Students requiring keys to offices or other spaces in academic buildings must adhere to the following policy developed by the Provost’s Office:
- In general, students are not issued keys to the outside doors of academic buildings.
- Any exception to this rule will be for a specified period of time only, such as a vacation period, and only with the approval of the Provost’s Office.
- Students may be issued passkeys (but no sub-masters). Keys to specific spaces, such as labs, will be issued under the following conditions:
- The work study assignment of a student must be such that, in the judgment of the department chairperson or faculty advisor, the student needs access to an academic space beyond the normal hours when such space is inaccessible without a key.
- The student must secure the approval of the department chairperson by e-mail or on a special key ordering form, available at the Locksmith’s Office, specifying the rooms to which he/she is to have access and the dates the key is to be held.
- Upon presentation of this form to the Locksmith’s Office, located in the Power Plant, the student will be issued their key(s). At this time, the student becomes responsible for all keys issued and must return them on, or before, the date specified on the form or e-mail.
- All keys must be returned at the end of the academic year. Students must have authorization to keep keys over the summer. Lost academic keys will incur a $35.00 charge. Students who fail to return their keys will have final grades withheld until the keys are returned or charges are paid.