The purpose of brainstorming is to encourage greater involvement of members in your organization by allowing them to help develop the ideas used in your group.
There are many ways to go about brainstorming. One way is to divide that group into smaller groups to work on devising their own lists of possible events and goals for the events, to later share with the group as a whole.
Using this method allows the organization to get input from all members rather than from just the dominating members that speak up often. Since all members participate in the formation of the goals as well, they are more likely to be invested in the action plans developed to further plan and implement the organizations event.
Questions to Ask
- What goals do we have for our event?
- What do we want attendees take away or learn from the event?
- Is there a specific topic or point of view?
- What type of event do we want? (see below for list)
- When is the best day/time to have the program?
- How much money do we have and are willing to spend?
- What policies do we need to be aware of? Do we need any permits or approval?
- How much time do we have to plan our event? What will our timeline look like?
- Will it be open to the public, campus-wide, or for group members only?
- Are there opportunities for collaboration or multiple-identity learning?
Types of Events
There are four types of events that you can plan and implement as a student group. Usually a combination of two or more create the best of events.
- Educational – an event where attendees learn about a topic (speaker, panel)
- Entertainment – an event for attendees to enjoy a performance (poet, band, singer)
- Social – primary focus is for attendees to interact with each other (round table)
- Passive – attendees passing enjoy, interact, and/or learn about a topic (poster display, flyers)
Examples of events
- A speaker or panel of speakers
- Performance or concert
- Art fair/photography or poster display
- Lunch group/roundtable
- Off campus trip
- Celebrations of culture or holidays
- Community service
- Information table
- Outdoor games
- Film screening