A student must choose an area of concentration, and meet all departmental requirements, including (beginning with the class of 2000) at least 9 courses in the major, of which at least three must at the 300 level or above. At least half of the minimum number of courses required for a major program must be taken at Wheaton. Departments may elect to require more than nine credits for a major. Departments may require that their students do even more of their work in the major program at Wheaton, subject to the approval of the Committee on Educational Policy. A student shall declare his or her major concentration by the end of the second semester of his or her sophomore year and may do so during the first semester.

Properly qualified students who wish to concentrate in a particular area, period, or discipline which is not accessible as an established department or interdepartmental major may propose an independent major, combining courses in two or more departments. Proposals must be approved by the Provost and conceived with the collaboration of a faculty advisor from each department involved in the independent major. The proposal must clearly identify the area, period, or discipline of the proposed major, must outline the course work comprising the major, and must state the means by which work in the senior year will provide an appropriate and coherent culmination. The proposal must be approved by the student’s advisors and by the chairs of the departments involved in the program, and reviewed by the Dean of Advising, who will forward it to the Provost for final action. Independent majors must fulfill all requirements for majors stated elsewhere in Legislation. Independent majors will be designated on the transcript either by “Independent: [Title]”, or if only two departments are involved, the names of the participating departments.

At the time of her or his graduation a student must have maintained a minimum average of 2.0 (C) in courses in her or his major.

At least 16 of the degree credits earned must be taken from outside the student’s area of concentration. (See Faculty Legislation)

Major and minor courses may be fulfilled anywhere subject to appropriate department or program chair approval.  (Ed Pol Annual 2004-2005)

Change in Majors: When proposing a new major, eliminating a major, or changing the name of a major, departments must specify in the proposal to the Educational Policy Committee when the change will go into effect and present any issues the change may present. (Ed Pol Minutes 4-15-14)