The following guidelines will likely lead to permission to use copyrighted material for your course. If the work is part of a book or a journal article, contact the CCC (Copyright Clearance Center) first.

Consult the Copyright Decision Map before seeking permission. If permission is needed, first identify the copyright holder then contact that party with complete information on how you will use the work.

Some publishers and other rights holders have their own permission forms. Otherwise, you need to write a permission letter. A sample permission letter is available on the Library Website. The form may be printed and sent via U.S. mail or copied and pasted into an email message sent to the copyright owner.

Keep all written copies of correspondence to refer to if there is ever a dispute.

Where to seek permission:

Journal articles and book chapters:
CCC (Copyright Clearance Center)

ASCAP (Amerian Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers)
BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.)
SESAC (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers)
Harry Fox Agency

Motion Pictures:
Motion Picture Licensing Corp.
Movie Licensing USA

Plays and musical theater:
American Association of Community Theatre
Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
Baker’s Plays

Questions about seeking copyright permission? Contact:

Kate Boylan
Director, Archives & Digital Initiatives; x5821
Lauren Slingluff
Interim Dean & Director, Collections & Resources; x3733