Tennis Courts in Chapel Field. Unidentified Photographer. Photograph. 20 x 25 cm. ca 1959.This photograph, apparently shot from the steeple of Cole Memorial Chapel, shows that the Chapel Field has long been used for athletic activities, including a set of tennis courts where Meneely Hall now stands. In the background, construction is just beginning on Clark Hall. 

-Evan Morse, Class of 2009

President A. Howard Meneely in the Humanities Building (Later Named Meneely Hall). Unidentified Photographer. Photograph. 10 x 15 cm. 1960.President A. Howard Meneely stands in the Humanities Building, overlooking Lower Campus. He lived long enough to see the completion of this innovative structure, but died of cancer in 1961, and the building was named in his memory. Meneely’s close collaboration with the college’s architects on the design of Lower Campus assured his lasting influence on Wheaton’s built environment. 

Ross Culliton, Class of 2009

Meneely Hall prior to the Mars Arts and Humanities Addition. Unidentified Photographer. Photograph. ca. 1959.Built in 1960 by Rich and Tucker Associates, the Humanities Building — later named Meneely Hall — illustrates the International Style more than any other building on campus. The use of glass and thin steel frames mimic International Style skyscrapers, which dominated American skylines during this period. The juxtaposition of the light, “weightless” glass façade, and the contrasting “checkerboard” brick patterning on the building’s Chapel Field side, elegantly link the Upper and Lower campus between which the building falls. The eastern and western walls of sturdy concrete panels act as supports to anchor the building’s “weightless” glass façade. The rigid rectangular shape of Meneely Hall compliments the round architecture of Chase Dining Hall across Peacock Pond and the long Georgian Revival style buildings designed by Ralph Adams Cram for the Court of Honor around the Dimple. 

-Ross Culliton, Class of 2009

Humanities Building (later named Meneely Hall). Rich and Tucker Associates. Photograph. 10 x 15 cm. 1959.This photograph highlights the front and side exteriors of Meneely Hall. The glass façade was used to add an active element to the building’s exterior, as it allowed passersby to see the lively interior classrooms and the reflections of exterior activity in Hood Court. 

-Ross Culliton, Class of 2009

Dedication of Meneely Hall. Unidentified Photographer. Photograph. 20.5 x 24 cm. March 1972.President A. Howard Meneely died of cancer in 1961, after influencing the lower campus expansion of the 1950s. The Humanities Building, which was built in 1959, provided additional classroom facilities to meet the demands of increasing student enrollment. Dedicated to Dr. Meneely in 1962, it honors his personal contribution to the design of the buildings on lower campus, and signifies his important role in expanding the International style on campus. 

-Andrea Bravo, Class of 2009

Humanities Building, South (Chapel Field) Facade. Rich and Tucker Associates. Photograph. 5 x 15 cm. 1959.This view of Meneely Hall from Chapel Field shows the side of the building made up of faculty offices. The smaller windows and the use of the “checkerboard” patterning reflect the smaller spaces on this side of the interior, unlike the large windows used for the larger classrooms on the front façade. 

-Ross Culliton, Class of 2009