Application Deadline: Rolling until Friday, April 12th, 2019, but interested students should start planning in the late fall.
The Porter Cleveland Fellows Program began in 2005 in honor of Nancy Lyon Porter ’43 because of a generous gift from the Porter family through the Cleveland Foundation. Nancy Porter’s daughter, former Wheaton College Trustee Elizabeth Porter Daane ’77 worked hard to facilitate this gift and establish this program, a fitting tribute to her mother’s lifetime commitment to community service. Both Elizabeth and her mother felt their experiences at Wheaton shaped the people they became.
Community service, in particular, was central and essential to Nancy Porter’s life, and she continuously reminded all five of her children of their duty and responsibility to give back. Organizations that helped families and children were especially important to Mrs. Porter. She was generous with her time and her resources, giving greatly of both during her lifetime to individuals and organizations.
The Porter Cleveland Fellows Program provides summer funding ($3500 plus paid housing at Case Western Reserve University) for students to intern/volunteer with a community-based organization in Cleveland, Ohio. Past internship sites have included: Center for Children & Families, Cleveland Leadership Center, Cleveland Botanical Garden, Cleveland Clinic, The Cleveland Foundation, Legal Aid Society, DANCE Cleveland and Youth Opportunities Unlimited.
Porter Cleveland Fellows are also incorporated into the activities of the Cleveland Foundation Internship Program.
Filene Center advisors review all applications and choose recipients based upon the criteria listed in the on-line application. Decisions reached by the advisors are final and non-selected applications will NOT be reconsidered. Students may apply to multiple Wheaton summer funding opportunities, but will only be awarded one in a given summer. Finally, students must be in good academic (not currently on academic suspension) and social standing (having no student conduct violations that have resulted in either probation or suspension) in order to receive a fellowship from Wheaton.
For further information, contact Matt Wheeler.
- Porter Cleveland Fellowship application
Note: To access this Google Form, you’ll need to provide your Wheaton wID and email password.
- Porter Cleveland Fellowship Expectations (pdf)
- Reflection Questions for Scholars & Fellows
- Tax Memo, Fellowships, Scholarships & Grants (pdf)
Summer 2017 Porter Cleveland Fellows
- Kalgaal Issa ’19, an international relations major, will intern with Cleveland Leadership Center.
- Ebony Kennedy ’19, an international relations major, will intern with Legal Aid Society.
- Caitly Reynoso ’19, a film & new media studies and business & management double major, will intern with Legal Aid Society.
- Justina Ramlakhan ’18, an urban studies and Africa, African American, diaspora studies double major, will intern with the Cleveland Leadership Center.
Former Porter Cleveland Fellow Jennifer Fialli ’17, an Environmental Science major, split her time between outdoor education and the horticultural upkeep of the Hershey Children’s Garden at the Cleveland Botanical Garden.