These courses are arranged individually between faculty and students, and provide the means by which students interested in pursuing a topic not covered in an existing course may do so with appropriate scholarly guidance. These courses are numbered 099, 199, 299, 399 or 499, depending on the level of the work involved, and are normally undertaken only after the first year.

An Independent Study can be used for Student-Initiated Connections, provided that the student writes up a description of the study and compiles a reading list. (March 25, 2010 Ed Pol Minutes)