The Dance Studies Track at Wheaton is interdisciplinary and this fact is reflected in the curriculum and the activities between departments. These include Theatre, Music and Biology but also draw on Studio Art, Art History, Cultural Anthropology and Political Science. Most of our students are double majors or minors in other disciplines to give context to the study of dance in relationship to the world we inhabit.
Learning Goals in Dance Studies
- To offer a range of movement techniques and styles
- To gain factual knowledge and understanding of how the body works
- To make students aware of diverse artistic traditions
- To impart knowledge concerning social issues and cultural awareness
- To Teach methodology in creating works from concept to performance
- To develop a high level of craft