Welcome to Wheaton!
All of our classes and performance offerings are open to non-majors as well as majors. This page can help you get started.
Watch our “Getting Started in Music” video for a quick overview.
Music Meet and Greet: Wed., Aug. 31 at 5pm, Watson 222. Music faculty will be on hand to answer your questions about getting involved with music.
Interested in lessons?
- “Contact us” to schedule a meeting with an instructor.
- Register at the beginning of each semester. Your instructor will provide a link to our online lesson registration form and will discuss options and fees. Declared music majors do not have to pay fees. (Contact the department chair with questions about major declaration.)
- Can’t afford lesson fees? We encourage you to discuss this with the instructor, who can nominate you for possible lesson scholarships.
- Important: Taking lessons for credit? You will need to take one classroom course for each year of credit lessons. Plan to include Music Theory, or any 200-level course, during your first year of lessons. (See “Starting Music Theory” below).
- Want more info?
Interested in ensembles?
- Taking for academic credit? Register on WINDOW during Orientation or during beginning of semester Add/Drop.
- First rehearsal and audition information:
Chorale: Every Mon./Wed. 5:00-6:00 pm, Watson 222
— starting Wed., Sep. 7
Chamber Singers: Every Mon./Wed. 6:00-7:00 pm, Watson 222
— starting Wed., Sep. 7
To audition and join, email Matt Cunningham by checking “Chorale” on the Contact Us form.
Every Mon. 7:00-9:15 pm, Watson 222 — starting Mon., Sep. 12
To join, email Delvyn Case by checking “Symphony Orchestra” on the Contact Us form.
Every Thu. 7:00-9:00 pm, Watson 222
Meet and Greet Thu. Sep. 1 / Rehearsals start Thu., Sep. 8
To join, email Earl Raney by checking “Wind Symphony” on the Contact Us form.
Every Tue. 7:00-9:00 pm, Watson 222 — starting Tue., Sep. 6
To join, contact Sheila Falls by checking “World Music Ensemble” on the Contact Us form.
Every Fri. 12:45-2:00 pm, Watson 222
Auditions Fri., Sep. 2 / Rehearsal starts Fri., Sep. 9
To audition and join, email Jeff Cashen by checking “Jazz Band” on the Contact Us form.
Interested in Music Courses?
We invite you to search the course schedule. Music classes are listed under MUSC. We encourage you to follow your musical passions and view all of our course options. Please don’t hesitate to contact professors with any questions about eligibility for courses. Many music students start with the Music Theory courses (MUSC 113, 114, 115) or with the World Music survey courses (MUSC 211, 212), as they are required for the major and also satisfy the lesson requirements.
Starting Music Theory?
Music Theory courses are required for music majors, for students enrolled in credit lessons, and for students planning to take upper-level music courses. The Music Theory Placement Test will help us assign you to the appropriate level of study.
- Before course registration, take the on-line test to see which course is best for you
- Prof. Will Mason will email you with a course recommendation.
Need access to a practice room or instrument locker in Watson?
Music practice rooms and instrument lockers are located on the lower level of the Watson Fine Arts Building. We’ll do our best to accommodate everyone, but as needed, music majors and students participating in Music Department lessons and ensembles will be given priority. Contact Vicki Toppses for links to request forms (email@example.com)
More music activities?
Visit the Music Department home page for complete details on our many offerings. In addition, be sure to visit the Activities Fair in September to connect with the Music Coop (supporting bands and student musicians), the Radio Station & Recording Studio, the a cappella groups, the Lymin’ Lyons Steel Drum band and more.
Want more information?
If you have questions about Music Performance or Music Theory, please contact:
Assoc. Professor Will Mason (music classes, music major)
Prof. Tim Harbold (music performance opportunities)