Wheaton education majors engage in a variety of pursuits after graduation.  Licensure majors receive an initial Massachusetts teaching license, which remains valid for up to ten years.  This license can be converted to certification in other states.  Click here and consult the websites of state education departments for information about the conversion process (some states require additional exams, courses, and/or fees).  Current and prospective students can contact an education professor for individualized guidance.

Recent graduates are teaching in public schools, charter schools, and independent schools in New England as well as across the country and around the globe.  Other graduates have become principals and educational specialists.  Alumni have continued their studies of education and related subjects in masters and doctoral programs at graduate schools.  Our students have won Fulbright fellowships to teach English in countries such as South Korea, France, Thailand, and Malaysia.  Wheaton’s career services staff and education faculty are available to assist students during their job searches. Under certain circumstances, graduates who go on to teach may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness.

Students who do not complete a licensure major can teach at independent schools and some public charter schools.  Graduates can also pursue licensure through alternative programs such as the Boston Teacher Residency or New York City Teaching Fellows. For information about alternative routes or teaching in independent schools, visit the career services site.  Unlicensed graduates may also be able to find teaching positions in hard-to-staff public schools or within hard-to-staff fields such as ELL, Special Education, and STEM. But the most reliable way to prepare for a teaching job is to earn a license.