All students applying for entrance into one of our licensure programs – secondary, elementary or early childhood – must follow the procedures outlined below:
- Arrange for an initial interview with the appropriate advisor.
- Prof. Scott Gelber: Secondary
- Prof. Vicki Bartolini: Elementary & Early Childhood (last name, A-K)
- Prof. Mary Lee Griffin: Elementary & Early Childhood (last name, L-Z)
2. Create and receive a Massachusetts Education Personnel Identifier (MEPID), which will be entered on your departmental record form. To apply for a MEPID, go to the MA Department of Education website– http://www.doe.mass.edu/ — and follow the links to ELAR. Once in ELAR, click “Create ELAR Profile” and complete this process in order to be assigned a MEPID.
3. Complete a Major Declaration Form in your licensure area (available in Education offices, Doll’s House, 2nd floor) and have it signed by your education advisor. At this meeting, please be sure to bring your MEPID.
4. Begin a 4-year plan with your advisor. This plan is tentative and will, no doubt change over the course of your undergraduate years. As soon as you declare your education licensure major, this plan should be shared with your other (non-education) major advisor.