In April 2020, President Hanno charged the COVID-19 Task Force with developing policy, protocol, and procedures for preparing the college for the return of students, in line with public health guidance and recommendations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health. As the guidance and developments of COVID-19 evolve, the Task Force will continue to keep the community updated on its impact, changes to operations and procedures, and on-campus testing at Wheaton.
CURRENT STATUS: GREEN – LOW CONCERN
Wheaton’s academic calendar is currently in Summer Session II. The first day of classes for the Fall 2021 semester is August 31 and fall move-in for residential students will be a staggered check-in process.
Mitigating the Risk of Infection
Policies in regards to vaccinations, guidance on use of masks, and building cleaning and disinfection.
Screening, Testing & Contact Tracing
Information and protocols on testing, symptom monitoring, testing results, contact tracing, quarantine procedures, and medical assistance from our public health advisory group.
Staffing, Travel & Visitors
Guidance and restrictions for student and employee travel as well as general protocols for staffing and visitors to campus.
Information on class structure, changes to the academic calendar and protocols for advising and other academic-related experiences.
Housing, Residential Life & Dining
Information on student housing impact, student support services and changes to the dining experience.
Clubs & Campus Events
Guidance and restrictions for activities and events related to clubs, organizations, departments and all programming, including the limitation of campus visits.
Compliance and Community Commitment
All community members will be expected to abide by these new policies and expectations, to support a safe and healthy campus environment and, to assume personal responsibility for keeping themselves and others as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Student leaders worked with the Dean of Students Office to develop a Community Commitment during the summer of 2020 to outline the shared responsibility within the community to foster a safe environment for all to live and learn.
Students who fail to comply with the college’s COVID-19 expectations and policies will face disciplinary action through the college’s Community Standards and Student Conduct Process. As a reminder, Wheaton’s jurisdiction extends to behaviors both on and off campus.
Given the increased focus on the health and safety of our community, violations of the Community Standards and COVID-19-related policies may result in elevated disciplinary measures. Major violations, including but not limited to, hosting a social gathering, not complying with quarantine/isolation procedures, or repeat violations of COVID-19 policies will likely result in loss of housing and restriction from campus. More minor violations will likely result in housing or disciplinary probation. Students who are removed from housing, lose on-campus access, or are suspended from the college as part of the Student Conduct Process will not be refunded for any portion of their tuition, room and board, or other fees.
Any community member who witnesses a violation of COVID-19-related policies is encouraged to file an incident report. The responsibility for the safety of our community lies with all of us.
Contacts and Resources
- COVID-19 campus mitigation strategies, policies, and protocols: deanofstudents@wheatoncollege.
- Housing and the arrival and check-in process: email@example.com
- COVID-19 on-campus Testing: covidtesting@wheatoncollege.
- COVID-19 Task Force
- Additional Resources:
The COVID-19 Campus Task Force welcomes comments and suggestions from the community regarding the current policies, protocols, and expectations on campus via our Feedback Form.
Return to Campus Past Communications
- July 1, 2021: Update on Summer Protocols and Return to Campus
- May 27, 2021: Update on Summer 2021 COVID-19 Policies
Spring 2021 Semester
- April 30, 2021: Update on Fall 2021 Return to Campus Plans
- April 29, 2021: Update on Wheaton Vaccination Clinic
- April 16, 2021: Community Update from President Hanno
- April 15, 2021: Update on Vaccinations and COVID-19 Policy Reminders
- March 28, 2021: Update on COVID-19 Campus Alert Level
- March 26, 2021: COVID-19 Campus Update and Saturday Testing Availability
- March 24, 2021: Update on Massachusetts Travel Guidance
- March 19, 2021: Community Update from President Hanno
- March 16, 2021: Update on Campus Policy Modifications
- March 1, 2021: Announcement on Spring Sports
- February 22, 2021: Campus Events and Indoor Dining Update
- February 12, 2021: Reminder on COVID-19 Policies
- February 12, 2021: Announcement on CoVerified Student Raffle
- February 2, 2021: Welcome Back Update from Dean Zack Irish
- January 22, 2021: Spring Arrival Informational Video
- January 15, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- January 13, 2020: Updates on Academic Planning for Spring 2021
- January 12, 2021: Arrival Information for Spring 2021
Fall 2020 Semester
- December 4, 2020: Update Looking Ahead to Spring 2021
- November 2, 2020: Announcement on Winter Sports
- November 12, 2020: Update on Campus Operations
- November 5, 2020: Update on Move to Remote Learning and New Campus Restrictions
- November 4, 2020: Update on New Massachusetts COVID-19 Restrictions
- October 9, 2020: Overview of Contact Tracing Protocols
- October 6, 2020: Update on Academic Calendar and Planning for Spring 2021 Semester
- October 28, 2020: Update on Testing Compliance
- September 30, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- September 4, 2020: Update on Student Experience Policies
- August 28, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 28, 2020: Update on CoVerified App
- August 21, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 14, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 14, 2020: Update on Fall 2020 Arrival
- August 13, 2020: Community Commitment from Student Government Association
- August 11, 2020: Fall 2020 Community Q&A Webinar Recording
- August 7, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 31, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 31, 2020: Update on Onboarding Testing and Move-In
- July 29, 2020: Return to Campus Q&A Webinar Recording
- July 28, 2020: Update on Massachusetts Travel Guidance
- July 24, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 17, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 16, 2020: Fall Sports Announcement from Athletics
- July 1, 2020: Update on Fall 2020 COVID-Conscious Residential Model
- June 30, 2020: Update on Fall Return to Campus