In April, President Hanno charged the Reopening Task Force with developing policy, protocol, and procedures for preparing the college for the return of students in Fall 2020, in line with public health guidance and recommendations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health. As the guidance and developments of COVID-19 evolve, the Task Force will continue to keep the community updated on its impact, changes to operations and procedures, and on-campus testing at Wheaton.
Wheaton’s Fall semester is being taught with a hybrid tutorial model, a mix of in-person and remote learning, and started on August 24.
- November 12 Update on Campus Operations
- November 5 Update on Move to Remote Learning and New Campus Restrictions
- November 4 Update on New Massachusetts COVID-19 Restrictions
- November 2 Announcement on Winter Sports
- October 28 Update on Testing Compliance
- October 9 Overview of Contact Tracing Protocols
- October 6 Update on Academic Calendar and Planning for Spring 2021 Semester
Information on class structure, changes to the academic calendar and protocols for advising and other academic-related experiences.
Housing, Residential Life & Dining
Information on student housing impact, student support services and changes to the dining experience.
Clubs & Campus Events
Guidance and restrictions for activities and events related to clubs, organizations, departments and all programming, including the limitation of campus visits.
Mitigating the Risk of Infection
Guidance on use of masks, protocols on social distancing, and building cleaning and disinfection.
Screening, Testing & Contact Tracing
Information and protocols on testing, symptom tracking, testing results, contact tracing, quarantine procedures, and medical assistance from our public health advisory group.
Travel & Staffing
Guidance and restrictions for student and employee travel as well as general protocols for staff.
Compliance and Community Commitment
Faculty, staff and students will be expected to abide by these new policies and expectations, to support a safe and healthy campus reopening and, to assume personal responsibility for keeping themselves and others as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Student leaders worked with the Dean of Students Office to develop a Community Commitment to outline the shared responsibility within the community to foster a safe environment for all to live and learn.
Students who fail to comply with the College’s COVID-19 expectations and policies will face disciplinary action through the College’s Community Standards and Student Conduct Process. As a reminder, Wheaton’s jurisdiction extends to behaviors both on and off campus.
Given the increased focus on the health and safety of our community, violations of the Community Standards and COVID-19-related policies may result in elevated disciplinary measures. Major violations, including but not limited to, hosting a social gathering or not complying with quarantine/isolation procedures, will likely result in loss of housing and restriction from campus. More minor violations will likely result in housing or disciplinary probation. Students who are removed from housing, lose on-campus access, or are suspended from the College as part of the Student Conduct Process will not be refunded for any portion of their tuition, room and board, or other fees.
Any community member who witnesses a violation of COVID-19-related policies is encouraged to file an incident report. The responsibility for the safety of our community lies with all of us.
Contacts and Resources
- COVID-19 campus mitigation strategies, policies, and protocols: deanofstudents@wheatoncollege.
- Housing and the arrival and check-in process: firstname.lastname@example.org
- COVID-19 on-campus Testing: covidtesting@wheatoncollege.
- Additional Resources:
Past “Return to Campus” Communications
- September 30, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- September 4, 2020: Update on Student Experience Policies
- August 28, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 28, 2020: Update on CoVerified App
- August 21, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 14, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- August 14, 2020: Update on Fall 2020 Arrival
- August 13, 2020: Community Commitment from Student Government Association
- August 11, 2020: Fall 2020 Community Q&A Webinar Recording
- August 7, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 31, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 31, 2020: Update on Onboarding Testing and Move-In
- July 29, 2020: Return to Campus Q&A Webinar Recording
- July 28, 2020: Update on Massachusetts Travel Guidance
- July 24, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 17, 2020: Community Update from President Hanno
- July 16, 2020: Fall Sports Announcement from Athletics
- July 1, 2020: Update on Fall 2020 COVID-Conscious Residential Model
- June 30, 2020: Update on Fall Return to Campus
- June 5, 2020: Information on Reopening Task Force