Students who work on campus are viewed as employees of the College.
The following guidelines are offered in the supervision of student workers:
- Attempt to make sure the working conditions of student employees are equivalent to those of other workers.
- Communication is important in effective supervision. Outline basic work expectations and responsibilities for student employees, and during the hiring process explain the importance of their duties. Provide a specific job description which lists the tasks to be performed.
- Make certain student employees receive quality training so that they can carry out responsibilities properly. Review tasks and expectations regularly.
- Assist each student in establishing good work habits. Consider yourself a role model. Also, expecting student employees to perform their duties competently and professionally is not unreasonable and can only enhance their overall effectiveness.
- Realize the potential impact that you and the job will have on each student’s work attitude and achievement. Therefore, show concern and understanding for each individual. A little praise for a job well done can go a long way. Constructive criticism is also good.
- E-mail is a great communication tool. Write updates to your students regularly.