Enrolling in a course on an audit basis
Both degree and non-degree students may elect to audit a course (register for it without doing all the work that would earn academic credit) only with the permission of the instructor. Individuals seeking to audit a course must:
- Obtain a Course Exception/Override From which is available in the Office of the Registrar.
- Attend the first class meeting of the particular course(s) or connect with the instructor of the course prior to the first class.
- Come to an agreement with the instructor as to what his/her expectations are for an auditor relative to class participation and attendance.
- Secure the signature of the instructor on the Course Exception (gray) Form.
- Return the signed form to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day to add a course. This deadline is published on the academic calendar available on the web.
- Upon successful completion of the audit, the instructor will confirm that the student may receive the designation of “AU” on a permanent academic record. Successful completion is based on whether the student met the requirements of the instructor for attendance and participation.
- This designation will be posted to the student’s record and will remain as a permanent entry on the academic transcript but no credit will be awarded for the course.