Enroll and grow with us at the Elisabeth Amen Nursery School at Wheaton College!
On this page:
Founded in 1931 as one of the first college supported nursery schools in our country, the Elisabeth Amen Nursery School at Wheaton College has long been committed to quality preschool education. At the Elisabeth Amen Nursery School, your child’s growth and development is guided and nurtured by experienced, professional early childhood educators who possess a passion for early learning. The enriching learning activities at Amen reflect our knowledge of the cognitive, social-emotional, and physical needs of young children. Offering children opportunities to experiment, discover, and grow with joyful curiosity and confidence is the foundation of our philosophy.
Our approach is centered on respect for the child as a learner and grounded in the tenets of the Reggio-Emilia philosophy, which regards children as capable learners and promotes construction of concepts and curriculum on interests. We believe that children have the right to explore a learning environment that is carefully planned to provoke critical thinking and problem solving through experiential “hands-on” learning. Each child’s natural desire to learn is valued and encouraged through rich language and literature experiences, interest-based curriculum, and the embedding of early learning concepts and skills in natural and developmentally appropriate learning opportunities. Our commitment to learning through playful engagement in interests opens avenues to authentic early learning that fosters confidence, self-regulation, social-emotional intelligence, skill development, and a love for learning.
The goals of our nursery school are to:
- allow each child to develop at his or her own rate
- convey to children the challenge and excitement of learning new things
- encourage the development of self-control, self-confidence, social interaction and critical thinking
- prepare children for successful transition to kindergarten.
What Makes Us Unique
- We are a Learning Laboratory School that is part of the Wheaton College Psychology Department. Children in our school benefit from the expertise of professionals who are dedicated to best practice in the field of Early Childhood Education.
- Our campus environment offers special venues for exploration and learning such as apple orchards, art and dance studios, nature trails a fishing pond, a campus greenhouse, musical performances, and gymnasiums and sports classes for physical play.
- Our classes feature low teacher-child ratios with experienced, certified teachers who hold degrees in Early Education or related fields.
- The Elisabeth Amen Lab features a unique Observation Booth for the purpose of parent and college-student observation. Parents are welcome to come in anytime to observe and gain insight to their children’s learning in progress.
Program Options – Half Day & Full Day Programs (September – June)
3-day AM Class
Tues., Wed., Thurs. 8:30–11:30am (Ages 3.0* to 4.3)
4-day AM Class
Tues. – Fri. 8:30–11:30am (Ages 3.0* to 4.3)
4-day PM Class
Mon.–Thurs. 12:30–3:30pm (Ages 4.0 and older) with an extended day option until 4:30pm.
5-day PM Class
Mon.–Fri. 12:30–3:30pm (Ages 4.0 and older) with an extended day option until 4:30pm.
5-day Full-day Class
Mon.–Fri. 8:30am to 3:00pm (Ages 4.0 and older) with an extended day option until 4:30pm.
If you would like to enroll your child in the Elisabeth W. Amen Nursery School, please contact us at:
Elisabeth Amen Nursery School
26 East Main Street
Norton, MA 02766