Quirky tidbits that are good to know
Note: This is a starting set of tips; we hope you'll share yours with us, too.
- Line breaks: Press the "return" key to get a paragraph break. Hold down the "shift" key while pressing "return" (shift-return) if you want a single link break instead. Note that you must be in the visual editor editor for this.
- Headings: To add a heading to your page's copy, highlight the words and select the correct heading format from the toolbar's "Format" drop menu. We use "Heading 2" for sections and "Heading 3" for paragraphs. "Heading 1" is reserved for page titles only, and headings 4 through 6 are not allowed at this time.
- Backgrounds: The "styles" drop menu offers a few subtle background colors for use in your page's related column and sidebar.
- T'is a gift to be simple. Please do not underline text, use colored type fonts or center your page copy. Limit your use of exclamation points.
- Copy-Paste from text or Word: When you copy-paste from another application, your copy may include unwanted formatting. Use these icons from your toolbar to rid yourself of that "glop": Always check your work.
- Sidebar behavior: A page's sidebar will automatically display its "child" pages (if there are any).
- Media: We encourage you to include slideshows, videos and audio on your site. Please talk with us about this; we'll set up your account and give you a quick tour.
- Media Library: The "Replace media" option is very handy.
- Saving pages: Be sure to set it to the "Visual" (not "HTML") tab before saving a page you've been editing.
- Code: We have a few shortcode options such as getnews.
it's helpful to have a good example. Please ask us about our gallery of sites that demonstrate effective use of features.