Being Safe on the Internet
- If you have to log in to a site - remember to log out
- Don't auto-save your passwords to sites
- Use secure sites when making on-line purchases - look for the HTTPS!
- Never follow a link in an email that wants you to update account/personal information
- Do not open unknown email attachments
- Links may not be what they seem. Hold the mouse pointer over a link to see the actual link location (usually displays in the bottom left)
- Do not run programs that are of unknown origin.
- If you have a wireless modem and your own wireless network in your house
- Be sure it is password protected! If not anyone in your area will be able to access it!
- NEVER ENABLE FILE SHARING on your equipment
- Make sure your computer is updated
- Your operating system has current updates
- Your antivirus and malware software is current and updated frequently
- Browse the Web with an up to date browser
- We suggest using Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox if you have a PC
- If you're using a Mac, we suggest using Safari
- If you have had a problem with spyware try one of the following free anti-spyware programs for the PC:
NEVER ENABLE FILE SHARING on your equipment