Staff Council

Coffee with a Colleague: Timothy A. Santos

Posted on September 20, 2013

What is your name and your role(s) at Wheaton?

My name is Timothy A. Santos. My nickname is Tuna. Mike Yelle from the Carpenter Shop who came up with that name. He started calling me Tuna. So now, everybody calls me Tuna.

I started at Wheaton in 1978 so I’ve been here 35 years. This coming April will be 36. I started out on the Grounds department and I did the Grounds department for about maybe 5–8 years. Then there was an opening in the Paint department. I worked there for about 3 months. I didn’t like that so I went back to the Grounds. I spent another probably 11 years on the Grounds. Then I moved to the Carpenter shop. Then after 4 years, the locksmith that was doing all the work on campus used to work here and he started his own business and his rates were going up and up so they offered it to me if I was interested. I said I’d love to learn another trade and Wheaton said we’ll pay for your school and if you get certified, you have the job. So I ended up getting my diploma and I’ve been doing the locksmith stuff now for about 23–24 years.

What is the best thing about your job?

The best thing about my job is seeing a lot of different people, working with all the departments, which I like because I get along with everybody and everybody gets along with me. I like doing the locksmith job here at the college.

What is your favorite food and where is the best place in the area to get it?

My favorite is prime rib at the Chateau.

If an alien landed in Norton, where would you take them?

I’d take them out fishing because that’s what I like to do a lot. Saltwater fishing—for reefers, stripers, bluefish.

What is the funniest thing you’ve ever seen happen at Wheaton?

The funniest thing was me one day. They were doing some work in the old pool at Balfour-Hood and we were fixing the ceiling tiles. We had to build a platform over the pool so we could put some staging on it. Well, they were also replacing the diving board. Nobody told me that they had taken most of the screws out of it. So, I stepped on the diving board and guess what happened? Tim went in the pool, clothes and all. The radio—everything was soaked. That was probably the funniest thing that ever happened to me.

by Michelle Monti, Communications 

Special thanks to David Laferriere for creating the artwork for this column.