Wheaton Cares Weekend of Service 2016
Posted on September 1, 2016
Wheaton Cares Service Weekend 2016 is almost here, and we're excited to start off another year by spending an entire weekend devoted to changing lives and strengthening communities through community service.
Dedicate your time, energy, and talent to your choice of four half-day community service projects, all designed to strengthen community on and off campus. Getting involved in local community service projects is a great way to get to know our neighbors in the Norton community, socialize and network with other Wheaties, discover your own strengths and passions, and, of course, give back to the community. Strive to become one step closer to achieving President Hanno's challenge for all members of the Wheaton community to complete 15 hours of community service as a part of his Wheaton Cares Challenge.
Wheaton Cares Weekend is coordinated by the Office of Service, Spirituality and Social Responsibility as part of the National Day of Service and Remembrance for victims, survivors, first responders, and other community heroes, as well as friends and family of those who lost their lives on that September day and in the aftermath that continues to this day. If you plan to participate in a service project in your town, please share photos and details with us via social media using #WheatonMACares; and please join us in a moment of silence on 9/11 to work and pray for greater peace and understanding, in this country and throughout the world.
PROJECTS & PARTNERS - Friday September 9th
- Norton Head Start Classroom Clean-Up: Come clean desks, chairs, and decorate the classroom with Head Start teachers to create optimal learning environments for underprivileged toddlers and children!
- Crystal Spring Earth Learning Center: Join Crystal Spring staff by learning and helping to clean a stream and perform some garden work. This community partner site is so serene, a great place to spend an afternoon outdoors! Transportation and their staff's delicious and nutritious snacks will be provided.
PROJECTS & PARTNERS - Saturday September 10th
- Capron Park Zoo Gala - Join Capron Park Zoo staff and assist with setting up chairs, tables, centerpieces, and a silent auction table for their largest annual fundraiser, "Passport to Mexico," where they raise thousands of dollars that contribute to funding for major renovation projects on zoo grounds. By helping with the set-up with this event, you will be assisting the zoo in developing additional educational opportunities for the zoo's visitors. Transportation and snacks will be provided.
PROJECTS & PARTNERS - Sunday September 11th
- Norton Reservoir Kayak Clean-Up - Help clean up and learn more about the Norton Reservoir by kayak! Instruction will be provided! It's an early morning start, but it's hard to imagine a better way to spend your Saturday. Lunch and transportation will be provided. Wear mud-and-water friendly clothing. Must be comfortable on the water in small boats.
- Norton Reservoir Shoreline Clean-Up - Join us in cleaning the shoreline near the dam in the Norton Reservoir. This spot is beautiful and scenic - a great place to be with friends, meet Norton residents, and make a difference in the Norton community.
- Norton Reservoir Bank Clean-Up - Join the Norton Community in cleaning up the shoreline around the Norton Reservoir near Tsang's Restaurant. Tools, transportation, and snacks provided.
Sign up to reserve your spot in one of our projects at http://signup.com/go/SUzkEx. Deadline to register is noon on Thursday 9/8. Space is limited and transportation is provided for all trips!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com