Role of the supervisor
As a supervisor, you can play an important role in guiding your student's work experience, assisting him or her to become more effective, committed and responsible, and in helping to maximize his or her learning from the work environment. Your involvement might include the opportunity to:
- share and clarify expectations before the experience begins
- set goals together and select indicators for measuring performance periodically
- talk about projects or tasks
- notice potential problems and prevent them from occurring
- help a student to see his or her strengths and limitations
As a result of being involved in this process, students will likely learn to become more focused participants who understand what they want to achieve. Finally, through this process, they will have the opportunity to enhance and learn new leadership and work-related skills.