The Sciences

Academics

Armstrong back on campus after a semester abroad

Posted on December 7, 2011

Tom Armstrong, assistant professor of computer science, is back on campus after his semester abroad as a Fulbright Scholar. Armstrong traveled to India where he taught a computer science course focused on data mining, artificial intelligence, computational linguistics and language acquisition.

Armstrong lived in the city of Patan, Gujarat and worked at the Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University (HNGU). He travelled widely while in India, visiting universities and colleges to give invited talks; he ventured to Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar (the state capital), Ajmer and Udaipur in Rajasthan (just to the north), the states of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, and Uttarakhand and the territory containing New Delhi.

Along with members of the HNGU administration, Armstrong journeyed to Bangalore University in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh where he stayed with a colleague at the International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad.

Now that he's back in Norton, Armstrong is reflecting on what he learned while away, and shared these examples of the experience's impact on his teaching here at Wheaton:

Tom Armstrong

• I like to use the domain of natural language in my courses, and I now have a wealth of examples from Gujarati and Hindi.
  • I have a renewed appreciation for the Beyond the West course requirement.
  • I plan on organizing a short-term faculty-led study abroad program to India.