Breaks & Closing
All residence halls and house close at the end of the academic year and during specific break periods each year. Exact dates of each hall closing are listed on the Housing Calendar. Specific guidelines for vacation housing will be published online prior to each break period.
It is the resident's responsibility to know the scheduled opening and closing dates for the residence halls and plan accordingly.
Failure to depart the halls by the scheduled closing time will result in a per night fee being assessed to the resident's account.
Halls close when the Academic Year ends in May. Exact dates will be listed on the Housing Calendar, but you can anticipate that halls will close at 8pm on the Saturday of Finals.
Unfortunately late departure requests for any reason cannot be granted because of the housing needs of Commencement / Reunion Weekend.
Both graduation and alumni reunion weekend take place simultaneously during the week that follows hall closure. Alumni are invited back to campus and live in the residence halls alongside the graduating seniors. It is that reason we need students who are not participating in the weekend's events to depart promptly as scheduled.
Senior week housing is available for:
- Graduating Seniors - names are provided by the Registrar's office
- Student volunteers for Commencement/Reunion weekend (CRV's, performance groups) - names are provided by The Office of Alumnae/ Relations
- In-season student-athletes - names provided by Athletics
- Resident Advisors and other on-campus student employees - names provided by faculty or staff supervisors
Late departure and early arrival requests will be considered, but are not guaranteed. Residential Life's decision is based on:
- The request being made prior to the published deadline
- The distance of travel
- The availability of housing
- Other mitigating factors such as weather
- 12-24 hour extension will be considered for domestic students and up to 48 hours will be considered for international students
Personal schedules or off campus commitments (for example an off campus job) are not justifiable requests for housing.
- Halls do not close, no registration required
- Residents whose permanent address is more than 500 miles away can request approval to remain on campus
- Requests to stay on campus can be made online. The form will become available online by November 1st.
- Housing is not available for students based on travel
- Students requesting housing during the month of January will only be considered if taking part in an on-campus job, are part of an in-season athletic team, or have an approved internship. Please have the appropriate Wheaton staff member (supervisor, coach, advisor, etc.) request on your behalf to Residential Life.
- For security purposes, the college may close certain buildings during the month of January. Those decisions will be made in early December based on the number of requests for Break housing. Students wishing to be on campus, but reside in closed buildings will need to coordinate with a friend living in an open room. Anyone unable to arrange a space, can request access to a temporary spaces. Availability of those spaces is limited and therefore, not guaranteed.
- The College is closed between the start of Winter Break and re-opens after the New Year holiday. There will be no housing available during that period of time.
- International Students who need housing in January may be considered for an approved early arrival. Those student should contact Global Education prior to Thanksgiving Break.
- Halls do not close, but students planning to be on campus must register online. Forms will be made available in the Spring semester at least two weeks prior to the start of break.