All residence halls and house close during specific vacation or break periods each year. Exact dates of each hall closing are listed on the Housing Calendar. Specific guidelines for vacation housing will be published online prior to each break period.
It is the resident's responsibility to know the scheduled opening and closing dates and plan accordingly.
Late departure and early arrival requests will be considered, but are not guaranteed. Residential Life's decision is based on:
- The request being made prior to the published deadline
- The distance of travel
- The availability of housing
- Other mitigating factors such as weather
- 12-24 hour extension will be considered for domestic students and up to 48 hours will be considered for international students
Personal schedules or off campus commitments (for example an off campus job) are not justifiable requests for housing.
- Halls do not close, no registration required
- Residents whose permanent address is more than 500 miles away can request approval to remain on campus
- Requests to stay on campus can be made online. The form will become available online by November 1st.
- Housing is not available for students based on travel
- Students requesting housing during the month of January will only be considered if taking part in an on-campus job, are part of an in-season athletic team, or have an approved internship. Please have the appropriate Wheaton staff member (supervisor, coach, advisor, etc.) request on your behalf to Residential Life.
- For security purposes, the college will only open certain buildings during the month of January. Those decisions will be made in early December based on the number of requests for Break housing. Students wishing to be on campus, but reside in closed buildings will need to coordinate with a friend living in an open room. Anyone unable to arrange a space, can request access to a temporary spaces. Availability of those spaces is limited and therefore, not guaranteed.
- The College is closed between the start of Winter Break and re-opens after the New Year holiday. There will be no housing available during that period of time.
- International Students who need housing in January may be considered for an approved early arrival. Those student should contact Global Education prior to Thanksgiving Break.
- Halls do not close, but students planning to be on campus must register online. Forms will be made available in the Spring semester at least two weeks prior to the start of break.