Room squatting is when an individual living in a room this year requests to be placed in the same room the following year. Only rising Seniors and Juniors officially recognized as a room occupant (living in eligible rooms as of February 15th) by the Office of Residential Life, may elect to squat their room. Requests to squat and the resulting meeting must be completed by April 4th, 2016.
Please note: All of the current residents of a room do not need remain in the room, but a room must be filled to capacity in order to squat it. A current occupant may elect to squat their room and pull in other students (those can be from any class year, including Rising Sophomores); however, everyone must be eligible to sign into the room.
- Rising Sophomores are not eligible due to the fact that the majority of their rooms will be reserved for incoming students.
- The February 15th deadline is to avoid manipulation of this privilege by changing rooms at the last minute only for the purposes of squatting. Students who change rooms after that date will not be able to squat that room.
- In the case where more than one room occupant would like to squat the room, but do not want to live together, lottery number is the deciding factor.
Rooms that are not eligible to be squatted:
- All houses/apartments
- Gebbie/Keefe Suites
- All Beard rooms
- Any singles or connected singles
- Designated first year rooms.
**Rooms in halls assigned as Specialty Housing can only be squatted once the proper application/registration has been completed and approved.
To squat a room:
Make sure you fit the criteria detailed above and e-mail Todd Brelsford to set up a meeting. The deadline for this meeting is April 4th, 2016.
The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to reject requests to squat a room.