Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College

Campus Life

Wheaton Men's Rugby holds off Roger Williams for a 26-22 victory

Posted on September 18, 2012

In a very physical and emotional battle, Wheaton Men’s Rugby was able to overcome a late rally from the Roger Williams Hawks in the final minutes to preserve a victory for the Lyons in their first home match of the season.

The Wheaton Men’s Rugby Club got off to a fast start as Tucker Myhre was able to split two Roger Williams defenders and broke free for a long run which resulted with Wheaton’s first try of the season. After this first try, the game became a defensive battle with several big hits and penalties littering the first half of competition. Joseph Roys was able to knock in a penalty late in the first half which helped the Lyons enter halftime in the lead.

During halftime, coach Ronan Higerty rallied his team together and encouraged his squad to continue their competitive but controlled played style. Higerty reminded the Lyons that the only way they were going to beat the larger, stronger Roger Williams squad would be to play with better technique and composure than their opponents.

Wheaton opened up the second half with a scoring flurry. Sam Lawrence was able to scurry for an early try in the second half after making a strong offensive move to shake two defenders. Nick Tietelman was able to follow up on Lawrence’s score by barreling into the try zone to extend their lead to 11 over the Hawks. Roger Williams, capitalizing on turnovers and penalties, was able to cut the lead to 5 points after converting a try with less than 5 minutes left. The Hawks took their next possession and began driving the ball down the pitch. After a successful scrum, the a Roger Williams player broke free from the Lyons defense and looked to be heading into the try zone for a go-ahead score with only seconds left in the match. Sam Lawrence did not give up on the play, however, and chased down the Roger Williams player from the opposite side of the field. This tackle helped to eliminate enough time off of the play clock to ensure that Roger Williams did not have enough time to continue their offensive drive. As the final seconds ticked off the clock, the Lyons gathered as a team to celebrate their hard fought victory.

The Lyons’ next home match will be on September 29th at 5:00pm on the turf field at Oliver Ames High School in Easton, Massachusetts.


Comments are closed.