A minute with…Bridget Brennan ’15

Minute withBiology major Bridget Brennan spent last summer getting a feel for marine biology as an intern at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution on Cape Cod. In the deep end: “I’ve always been interested in marine biology, since I was a kid. My parents could never get me out of the ocean. At Wheaton, I took ‘Intro to Marine Mammals,’ and that really sparked my interest in marine biology and inspired me to seek this internship. In class, we discussed all kinds of physiological aspects of marine mammals, and we got to do an autopsy on a seal. The internship allowed me to take everything I learned in class and put it into real life, which was exactly what I was looking for.” Daily catch: “At the oceanographic institute, I did all sorts of work—from data entry to going out and responding to stranded animals. I also got to participate in marine animal necropsies. So some days I would work in the office, some days out in the field, and other days in the lab, which was my favorite part.” The ripple effect: “My internship definitely helped my educational experience. I gained leadership skills. I got to lead my own necropsy, and I had to come up with my own project for a stomach analysis, which required me to be innovative. I’ve found myself applying the same skills in the classroom with my academic projects at Wheaton.” Wait and sea: “After Wheaton I’m hoping to go to grad school for marine biology. I think this internship will provide me with valuable references, and it has helped prepare me for the work ahead.”