A matter of trust

Daniel Arciola ’94 puts Wheaton values to work 

Arciola DanWorking with trusts and estates requires a high level of integrity. As chief trust officer and senior vice president at Brown Brothers Harriman in New York City, Daniel Arciola ’94 understands that, as well as how an education that emphasizes ethics can prepare a person for success.

“When I think about the important things you need to be successful in this industry—communications skills, critical thinking skills, the ability to write, leadership, teamwork—they are all things that through attending Wheaton I had the opportunity to develop,” Arciola said. “At my firm, there is a real emphasis on integrity and teamwork, and those are things our Honor Code at Wheaton focused on. I feel those were values that are very similar to the core values at the institution I now work for.”

Even before college, Arciola knew he wanted to go into law, although his first aspiration was to become a prosecutor. It was later, during law school, while working in the Family Court Division of the Office of the Corporation Counsel in Manhattan, that he became “a bit disenchanted” with criminal law, deciding instead to pursue a career in trusts and estates.

A guidance counselor at Arciola’s high school in New Milford, Conn., also a Wheaton alumna, helped steer him toward Wheaton for his undergraduate studies.

“She spoke very highly of the education that you could receive at Wheaton,” Arciola said. “So I followed that recommendation, went up and visited the school, and liked the feel of the campus.”

At Wheaton, Arciola studied political science, with minors in economics and legal studies, and became a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated magna cum laude.

“Academically, I felt that Wheaton had highly qualified professors, and I liked the individual attention you receive in the small classrooms,” he said. “I enjoyed my social time and was active in intramural sports. I met lifelong friends.”

After Wheaton, Arciola attended New York Law School, where he earned his juris doctor with honors. Today, he oversees trust administration for Brown Brothers Harriman’s Delaware National Trust Company and for the New York office of Brown Brothers Harriman’s New York National Trust Company.

He credits his professional success to his Wheaton education, as well as the experience of living and studying under the Honor Code. He recently returned the favor by making a leadership gift to the Wheaton Fund.

“I don’t think I would be where I am today without Wheaton College. I think that, in a large part, the institution prepared me to get where I am, and this gift is my little way of giving back, for everything that I got out of Wheaton,” Arciola said. “And hopefully it will help Wheaton bring in students who will help the institution continue to be successful in the future.”