Lorna Brookes Russell ’64

Lorna Carlson '64 and husband Russell CarlsonOrganist at St. Francis by the Sea Episcopal Church (Maine); retired French teacher 

President of The Sandy Point Water Company (Maine), an investor-owned utility 

Married for 49 years to Carlton Russell, Wheaton professor of music and college organist emeritus

“Wheaton changed my life. The challenging academics, the caring faculty, and the opportunities for leadership and creative endeavors shaped the person I became. When people wonder how a retired French teacher and church organist with a liberal arts degree can be running a small water company, I simply tell them it’s my Wheaton education at work. I could not have attended Wheaton without substantial scholarship aid, and my deep gratitude for that has meant loyal support of the Wheaton Fund. The college has always been in our will, but we also wanted to do something special for my upcoming 50th Reunion. Endowing a scholarship seemed at first an impossible stretch for two retired educators, but the Gift Planning staff worked with us to set it up in a way that we could afford, turning around deferred retirement income to our benefit tax-wise, and to the benefit of future scholarship students. During my 45 years on the Wheaton campus, as student and faculty wife, I watched the college change, and, yet, in its essence and mission, remain the same. Carlton and I honor that ‘holding fast to what is good’ with our support.”

Learn how you can give for the future right now. Call the Office of Gift Planning at 508-286-3459 or online at wheatoncollege.edu/gift-planning