David Collier ’97

Sales manager, Salix Pharmaceuticals

David Collier ’97I chose anthropology as a major because I’m interested in how cultures emerge and how they function. It was the best decision I could have made for my career as a professional salesman. I learned about what motivates people. Sales decisions are made for countless reasons, but people make them all. When I see individuals in an organization as being immersed in a culture, it helps me predict and understand them and aids in my sales approach.

Incidentally, it’s been my experience that people find the major captivating, which allows them to see me in a different light. At job interviews, interviewers always want to know more about my anthropology studies.

Right now, I sell pharmaceuticals to gastroenterologists and colorectal surgeons. All my sales calls are made in person to physicians, and I promote the use of my company’s products versus those of competitors.

I’ve been in the health care industry since my Wheaton graduation and in pharmaceutical sales since 1999. What led me to a career in health care was a desire to be paid well for doing things that benefit others. In 2006, I earned my M.B.A. from Bryant University.

I advise students to pursue careers that will enrich them financially and benefit people. It’s easier to be happy when you have a few bucks, and it’s easier to work hard when you know your work is promoting greater health, the root of all blessings.

Keith Nordstrom photo

About Mary Howard

Mary Howard ’85 is a freelance writer and editor who lives in southeastern Connecticut.