Public Safety

COMMENCEMENT SECURITY

Posted on May 15, 2013

To the Wheaton community,

As we look forward to celebrating the accomplishments of the Class of 2013 and welcoming back hundreds of alumnae/i for Commencement Reunion weekend, I write to you with a message about campus safety.

The Boston Marathon bombing has cast a shadow of concern about participating in celebratory public gatherings. Although Wheaton does not anticipate security problems, the college has increased safety measures in a variety of ways.

I have assigned additional public safety officers to be on duty before and during the commencement ceremony. This week, temporary fencing will be installed to restrict pedestrians to the college's existing walkways. Vehicular access to the Dimple and areas adjacent to the residence halls will be restricted during commencement. Finally, backpacks and large packages may be subject to spot inspections.

I don't expect that the additional measures that have been taken will be burdensome. However, I ask for your cooperation and understanding. The safety and security of the Wheaton community is my foremost priority.

Please remember that you can play a role in promoting campus safety. Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. To borrow from New York public safety posters, "If you see something, say something."