In the Classroom
The psychology department has courses that offer experiential learning.
- As a Psychology major, you'll take a required lab course in your junior or senior year that gives you hands-on experience with research in human or non-human animal behavior. There are lab courses in Social Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, and Animal Communication and Cognition.
- Psy 334 Practicum in Human Services. Students spend 6 hours a week as interns in a mental health, child, family, or social service setting.
- Psy 336 Child Development in the Navajo Nation. Students travel in January to learn and serve in the Navajo Nation.
- Psy 337 Practicum in Psychology Research. Students spend 6 hours a week in a psychology or neuroscience research laboratory in a university / hospital setting.
- Psy 500 Students who are eligible may apply to work with a faculty member to complete a 2-semester senior honors thesis.