Ad Hoc Subcommittees
- The Educational Policy Committee will define a specific category of subcommittee as ad hoc subcommittees. These subcommittees are designed to undertake special initiatives, and will be limited in time (1-2 years) with clearly defined tasks that can be undertaken in the specified time frame.
- An ad hoc subcommittee should not continue beyond the end of the second year without having its status reviewed in the context of the overall structure of Educational Policy Committee’s subcommittees.
- Each ad hoc subcommittee chair will attend an Educational Policy Committee meeting during the academic year in order to provide oversight of their work.
Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Connections
- The charge of the ad hoc Committee on Connections is to begin preliminary investigations and discussion of the goals and effectiveness of Connections as a major piece of the Wheaton Curriculum.
- 2015-2016 Members: Chris Kalberg (Chair), Jonathan Brumberg-Kraus, Jason Goodman, Kathy Morgan
- Continuing Subcommittees
- Curriculum Evaluation
- Student-Initiated Connections
- Global Education Advisory
- First-Year Seminar
- Undergraduate Research
Curriculum Evaluation Subcommittee
- The Curriculum Evaluation Subcommittee will work with the Provost’s Office, Educational Policy Committee, and the faculty to design a five-year curriculum evaluation plan. The Evaluation Sub- committee will review data reports on the curriculum, data on the Natural Science and Foreign Language requirements, and data from the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) on Connections and Infusion. The inclusion of reports, following discussion of the data by faculty with interest and responsibility in the area, offers a model for keeping regular oversight of the curriculum. The Subcommittee will work with the Registrar and faculty to collect data.
- 2015-2016 Members: Scott Gelber (co-coordinator); Meg Kirkpatrick (co-coordinator); Thandi Buthelezi; Barbara Darling-Smith; Paul Prewitt-Freilino (Director of Institutional Research), Michelle Santos (Registrar)
Student-Initiated Connections Subcommittee
- The charge of the Connections Subcommittee is to consider and recommend the approval (or disapproval) of Student-Initiated Connection proposals. Additionally, the Subcommittee is to bring general issues of policy questions arising from review of the proposals to the Educational Policy Committee. (April 23, 2009, Ed Pol Minutes, 2008-2009, Ed Pol Annual Report)
- 2015-2016 Members: Janice Sklensky (Chair), Jonathan Brumberg-Kraus, Jason Goodman, Shelly Leibowitz,
First Year Seminar
- Inspire a cohort of engaged, intellectually curious students who are prepared to assume responsibility for their education and their lives.
- Introduce high standards and expectations for college-level academic skills. Students will practice reading, oral communication, written communication and information fluency.
- Assist students in negotiating the transition to independent young adulthood. Students will be introduced to college-level success strategies, academic support and other resources on campus, and students will interact with a faculty advisor who is also the FYS instructor, a staff mentor, preceptors and student monitors.
- 2015-2016 Steering Committee Members: Shawn Christian (Coordinator), Jonathan Brumberg-Kraus, Laura Muller, Jocelyn Emerson, Julie Searles
Global Education Advisory Subcommittee
The charge of the Subcommittee is to review, discuss and advise on new initiatives sponsored by the Center for Global Education.
- Review new faculty-led study abroad programs.
- Advise the Dean of Center for Global Education on policies and procedure that impact study abroad.
- Present and discuss concerns of academic divisions regarding global education matters
- Educational Policy Committee will review all proposals for faculty led programs once they have been considered by Global Education Advisory Subcommittee for preliminary review and comment, including those in their first iteration.
- 2015-2016 Members: Donna Kerner (Chair), Darlene Boroviak, Cecile Danihy, James Freeman, Dipankar Maitra (Fall 2014), Bianca Cody-Murphy, Elita Pastra-Landis (Spring 2015), Sue Standing, Mark Hoesly (Dean, Center for Global Education) Gail Sahar (Associate Provost)
Undergraduate Research Subcommittee
The charge of the Committee is to promote and advance undergraduate research and scholarship opportunities at Wheaton.
- 2015-2016 Members: Thandi Buthelezi (Chair); Montse Perez-Toribio; Scott Hamlin (Research and Instruction, LIS); Zeph Stickney (College Archivist); Judi Razee (Administrative Assistant, Filene Center)
The charge of the Writing Subcommittee is to nurture the efforts and interest of faculty for increasing the writing skills of students and faculty.
Towards that end:
- Initiate and manage events (workshops, presentations, etc.) and otherwise gather and disseminate relevant ideas and information to faculty and students.
- Further promote and support peer writing tutors as a key resource.
- Work with academic departments to steward the college-wide effort regarding the importance of writing skills and recent developments in the teaching and assessment of writing.
- 2015-2016 Members: Lisa Lebduska (Chair); Connie Compana; Scott Gelber; Laura Macesik Ekstrom; Julie Searles