Making a poster with PowerPoint
PowerPoint is part of Microsoft Office, available on most public computers on campus.
Make a single slide that tells the story of your event or announcement
Include the event's basic information (date, time, location, etc.) in text on your poster. You can use PowerPoint's features (fonts, colors, WordArt, drawing, graphics) to add impact to your message. Because your poster will be seen from a distance, use large type: never less than 18pt; headlines should be 48pt or larger. Your slide must be in landscape orientation--so it fits on a television screen.
Save your PowerPoint document
When you're done, save your poster as a PowerPoint file so you can edit it later.
Save your poster as an image to upload to the web
- Display the slide you want to save.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Save As box, type a name for the slide or slides. Please don't be cute, be descriptive. Choose a folder (or your Desktop) as a location to save your poster.
- On the Format pop-up menu, click the graphics file format you want. Choose PNG (Portable Network Graphics).
- Click Options.
- In the Preferences dialog box: Set the Size: Width 800 Height 600 pixels, and check Compress Graphics Files, Image Quality: Medium.
- Click Save current slide only, and then click OK.
- Click Save.
Now you're ready. Go to the main Posters page, fill out the event form and upload your poster.