Competition for solos is fierce at conservatories and at larger schools. One advantage of a small school like Wheaton is that our advanced musicians find numerous solo opportunities:
- Winners of our annual Concerto/Aria competition are featured as soloists with the Chamber Orchestra.
- Each year, members of the Wheaton Chorale have been featured as soloists in major works for chorus and orchestra, such as Beethoven's Mass in C, Fauré's Requiem and Haydn's Mass in Time of War.
- Wheaton's voice students routinely win awards in the RI National Association of Teachers of Singing competitions.
- Jazz vocalists are featured in each concert of the Wheaton Jazz Band.
- The Music Department offers numerous recitals each semester, and many of our seniors elect to perform Senior Recitals.
- Wheaton's five a cappella groups also highlight student soloists.