In the news

News & Events

Looking for Lincoln

Posted on February 12, 2009

The new book, Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon, is getting lots of attention in the celebration of the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The book's authors include Peter W. Kunhardt, Jr. and his father and uncle have received many favorable reviews, including a recent mention in The New York Times Sunday Book Review.

Peter's undergraduate experience at Wheaton comes up rarely in interviews about the book, which is the result of his family's generations-long collection of Lincoln memorabilia. But he worked his alma mater into a recent conversation with CNN. To wit:

I was an art history major at Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts. I've always been fascinated with our collection. I was flattered to be asked to help with this project, the Lincoln book. I've been an intern since I was about in fifth grade. I've grown up knowing this collection very well, putting everything in plastic sleeves. Then when we found out that they weren't of archival quality, I had to change them to polyester sleeves.

By the way, the Kunhardt's book is currently ranked #1 among historiography and #7 among the 100 books about Lincoln that are listed by Amazon.

Sources: CNN and The New York Times