New employee checklist
This checklist will help you become familiar with the Wheaton community and all the resources that are available. Please review this checklist with your supervisor. During your first week, you should:
- Schedule a benefits orientation with Human Resources. During this benefits orientation you will complete required payroll and tax related forms and obtain information regarding your salary and benefits. You will also receive information about your technology orientation and phone, computer and email services, if appropriate.
- Schedule a technology orientation with Library and Information Services to arrange access to email, telephone, calendar and network services.
- Schedule a campus tour. You may contact the Admission Office at x8251 to schedule a student-lead tour. Print yourself a campus map.
- Obtain keys to your office or work location. Consult with your supervisor to determine what offices and/or buildings you will need access to. You may contact the Locksmith’s Office at x3880 to arrange a time to pick up keys.
- Visit Public Safety to obtain your Wheaton ID card and parking permit.
- Learn about the many learning resources, training sessions, and professional development opportunities offered at Wheaton. Please visit our workshops and events page for more information.
- Visit the Wheaton College website at http://wheatoncollege.edu/ to familiarize yourself with Wheaton and our goals and mission.
- Review Service in Action: the Vision of Service Standards and Expectations.
- Visit the Employee Resources webpage at http://wheatoncollege.edu/hr/info/.
- Become familiar with your workspace, the location of office supplies and other essentials.
- Meet your co-workers and learn what they do.
- Review department work hours, meal breaks, dress code, timesheets and other logistics with your supervisor.
- Review departmental standards and expectations including protocols for checking email, answering phones and checking voicemail.
- Review departmental procedures for sending and receiving campus and external mail and familiarize yourself with the location of departmental mailboxes and the campus post office.
- Become familiar with the WINDOW and electronic web time entry. You should initiate your electronic timesheet and submit your timesheet to your supervisor every pay period. You may access the WINDOW through insideWheaton at https://portal.wheatonma.edu/.
- Request and review a copy of your job description with your supervisor, including a discussion of performance standards and expectations.
- Talk with your supervisor about your department’s organizational structure, its goal and its mission and your role in achieving that mission.
- Review files and projects left from your predecessor. Ask your supervisor to assist you in prioritizing projects and identifying deadlines.
- Schedule meetings with key contacts - people with whom you will interact regularly.
- Review the college’s confidentiality information and confidentiality policy (also see the Staff Handbook) and any specific departmental confidentiality guidelines.