By law, all full-time students attending college in Massachusetts must be enrolled in a health insurance plan which provides reasonably comprehensive coverage for health services.
The two options available to Wheaton students are:
- enrollment in the Student Accident and Sickness plan offered by Wheaton. This plan fulfills the state requirements by providing access to care in the Norton, MA area, coverage for students over the age of 19, coverage for diagnostic testing, lab services, prescription drugs, mental health services, inpatient and outpatient hospital services, and emergency services. If you choose this option, nothing more is required; the college automatically enrolls all students in this plan.
- enrollment in your current personal health insurance plan that provides coverage equal to that provided by the plan offered by Wheaton. If you choose this option, please submit an on-line waiver form.
If you choose to waive the Accident and Sickness plan offered by Wheaton, you are strongly encouraged to check with your insurance company to confirm that your plan provides in-network and out-of-network coverage for:
- Routine (not urgent or emergency) care in the Norton, MA area
- Norton Medical Center physicians Dr. Mark Zullo and Dr. Rajani Mallick/Sturdy Medical Associates
- Specialists in the Norton, MA area
- Diagnostic testing (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Lab services (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health services
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
- Emergency services/ambulance services
If you belong to a health plan, such as out-of-state Medicaid or Kaiser, that does not provide coverage for the above services, you must participate in the Wheaton Student Accident and Sickness plan or another comparable insurance plan.
You may only waive the health insurance plan offered by Wheaton if you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan with a US mailing address (based in the US).
Student Financial Services will provide more information regarding the Wheaton Accident and Sickness plan to students in an informational packet mailed during either June or December. The deadline for waiving or enrolling in the insurance plan offered by Wheaton is on or about August 1, 2013 and on or about January 1, 2014 for second semester students.