Center for Global Education

Academics

Announcing our Peer Advisors

Posted on March 12, 2014

Our Spring 2014 Peer Advisors are eager to help students with their study abroad decisions! From the application to the packing list, these students have a unique and valuable insight into traveling abroad. Feel free to contact them via email (last name_first name@wheatoncollege.edu) or attend their office hours. Learn a little more about them here:

Pamela Henriquez, IES Granada
Pamela HenriquezHi! My name is Pamela Henriquez. I am a current junior at Wheaton College majoring in Psychology and Hispanic Studies with a minor in General Education. I studied abroad fall semester of 2013 in Granada, Spain and am the Peer Advisor Coordinator this semester.

Molly Grannell, Sussex University
Molly GrannellHello there! I'm a Biology major in my junior year who studied abroad at the University of Sussex in Brighton, England during Fall of 2013. Studying abroad is one of the most exciting and terrifying things that you can do, but it's well worth it! Come say 'ello sometime and we can talk about jolly old England!

Yitong Cai, Wheaton in Bhutan
Yitong CaiHello! I am one of the peer advisors for the Wheaton in Bhutan program. As a Chinese student who has been studying in the US for over 4 years, I experienced a lot cultural differences. Studying abroad in Bhutan and learning about Buddhism helped me to realize the similarity among Asian cultures and observe the differences between American and Bhutanese cultures. I am more than happy to help you prepare for this valuable adventure!

Amy Yu, Alliance Shanghai
Amy Yu
My name is Amy, a Junior Psychology Major who studied in Shanghai, China in Fall of 2013. I was in the Intensive Chinese Language Program, so it was a commitment of 20 hours a week of Chinese with a language pledge as well. I not only made friends with the students in my program but with the local Chinese people in Shanghai. It was an amazing, unforgettable experience! Now, I am able to fluently interact with the Chinese students on campus and in the community. If you have any questions about this program or just want to talk about my experiences, please feel free!

Elizabeth Lewis, University of Edinburgh
Elizabeth Lewis
I am currently a junior, double majoring in European History and Medieval Literature. During my semester abroad I had the utterly wonderful experience of studying at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I am also involved with The Wheatones, Wheaton’s original all female acapella group, and I’m really excited to be working with students and helping them broaden their world view.

Nicole Jenkins, University of Canterbury
Nicole JenkinsI went to the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. As Biochemistry major who hails from a small town in New Hampshire, I’d like to clear up the myth that science students cannot go abroad. You can - it just takes some creative scheduling and a lot of determination.

Jenna Tramonti, University of Sussex
Jenna TramontiMy name is Jenna; I am an English major and a Journalism minor. I am also on the tap dance team here at Wheaton. I studied abroad at the University of Sussex just outside Brighton, England in Fall 2013 and it was a life-changing, eye-opening experience for me! As a self-proclaimed 'Anglophile' I enjoyed being immersed in English life and culture, and have taken the lessons I learned in Great Britain back with me to Wheaton.

Max Glick, College Year in Athens
Max Glick
My name is Max Glick; I am a member of the Wheaton class of 2015. I am a Classical Civilization major and a Music Performance minor.  In the summer of 2013 I participated in an archaeological dig on the island of Crete in Greece.  While on the dig I worked in the conservation laboratory where I helped to preserve plaster that was from the Aegean Bronze Age.  Then in the Fall of 2013 I went to Athens to study in the program College Year In Athens.  During the semester I studied Classics and traveled throughout Greece and Europe.

Alicia Alvarez, University of Edinburgh
Alicia Alvarez
My name is Alicia Alvarez and I’m currently a junior here at Wheaton.  I was a born and raised in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. My major is Psychology and my main interest is adolescent development. I am also part of the Intercultural Board & Student Government association as the Intercultural Board Senator. I am also former president of the Latino Student Association and currently an active member. I went abroad to the University of Edinburgh in Scotland which I absolutely loved!

Linnea Wilhjelm, Wheaton in Bhutan
Linnea Wilhjelm
I am a Sociology major and Theatre minor in the class of 2015. I spent the Fall semester of my junior year abroad in Thimphu, Bhutan with seven other Wheaton and two non-Wheaton students. On the Wheaton campus I play in the Great Woods Chamber Orchestra, participate in student directed performances and take a large role in the Dimple Divers (our improv comedy troupe).

Aitya McGhee, SIT South Africa: Multiculturalism and Human Rights
Atiya McGheeMy name is Atiya McGhee and I am a current senior. I am a creative writing and literature major with a double minor in education and psychology. I was born and raised in NYC. I came to Wheaton through the POSSE full-tuition leadership scholarship. I have been heavily involved on campus from working as a resident advisor to preceptor to student ambassador for admissions. I studied abroad in South Africa with funding provided by the Benjamin A. International Gilman scholarship. I cannot wait to share my stories with you and help you along the process of going abroad. It is truly a fulfilling experience.

Helen Meng, BU London Internship
Helen MengHi, I am a junior majoring Economics and Mathematics. I spent a semester in London last year and I really enjoy my experience there. I like reading, singing, swimming and kayaking. But I love traveling most. I like serving as a Peer Advisor for the CGE, so I can talk a lot about my study abroad experience.

Milana Meytes, Ben Gurion University of the Negev
Milana Meytes
Hi, my name is Milana Meytes. I am a Junior at Wheaton, an English Major and Russian Studies minor. I was born in the former USSR, Tashkent, Uzbekistan and have grown up in New York City. I spent my semester abroad at Ben Gurion University in Be’er Sheva, Israel.

Nayrobi Mosquera, IES Rome
Nayrobi MosqueraHi, I’m a junior at Wheaton studying economics and public health. Last fall semester I was very fortunate to study abroad in Rome, Italy through IES. It was an amazing experience that has given me a new global perspective and lasting memories.

Petra Solarik, Wheaton in Bhutan
Petra SolarikI am a Biology major in my junior year at Wheaton. I studied abroad in Bhutan and had an incredible cultural experience. If you have any questions about a student’s perspective, or about the application process, please feel free to contact me both during my office hours as well as any other time.

Rayne McGlamery, BU Dublin Internship
Rayne McGlamery
Hi! I’m Rayne McGlamery and I am from Hartford, Connecticut. I’m a Psychology major and General Education minor. I spent the fall semester of my junior year in Dublin, Ireland on Boston University’s internship program and had the time of my life; I can’t wait to help you figure out your adventure!

Francine Camacho, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Francine CamachoI am a bioinformatics major, and I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I am blessed to be a Gates Millennium Scholar, which allowed me to attend Wheaton. On campus, I have been involved with student groups such as Distinguished Women of Color Collective and Latino Student Association and have served as a resident adviser. I studied abroad this past fall at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Never in a million years would I think that I could have studied abroad as a science major. As a senior, I was able to fulfill my dreams and I am excited to share my experiences and what I learned. I am honored to be your Peer Advisor!

Maggie Yurgielewicz, University of Edinburgh
Maggie YurgielewiczI studied abroad in Scotland, UK at the University of Edinburgh. I had the most amazing time in Edinburgh and would recommend it to anyone. Studying abroad has indescribable benefits and I promise it'll be one of the best semesters/years of your life. Scotland has the perfect mix of city life and The Highlands, historical old town and new town, castles and shopping, bagpipes and cafés. While in Scotland I got to travel to Spain, France, Belgium, England, and Ireland, met people from all around the world, and gained a new global perspective.

Daniela Johnson, Wheaton in Bhutan
Daniela Johnson
My name is Daniela Johnson (class of 2015); I am an English major and Secondary Education minor. My first two years at Wheaton I knew that I wanted to go abroad in my junior year - my only problem was deciding where to go. I finally decided I would spend four months in the Kingdom of Bhutan. With the help of the Global Ed. office I was able to experience a unique culture and people that forever left its mark on me and my education. Those months abroad become some of the most exciting and challenging times for me and truly made my college experience!